Hurricane Dorian Update 5
August 31, 2019 (3:30 PM)
According to the most recent advisory from the National Hurricane Center, Dorian’s wind speeds increased to 150 miles per hour, putting it at the upper end of Category 4 strength. Wind speeds are expected to strengthen to 155 miles per hour, just short of Category 5 force.
The forecast track was shifted east in an earlier advisory and no longer shows a landfall in Florida. That being said, West Palm Beach residents should not let our guards down just yet.
Even if the storm doesn’t make landfall in Florida, much of the state will still experience life threatening storm conditions like hurricane force winds, storm surge, and flash flooding.
City Commission President
West Palm Beach District 5 (Southend)
CITY OF WEST PALM BEACH UPDATES:
- GARAGES: There will be limited free parking in city garages. The garages will be closed off to any additional access, once we reach capacity. We will open the garage only after we have received the “all clear “from our emergency managers. We are working on details right now, and we will share them with you when we have them.
- SANITATION SERVICES: Garbage collection is suspended indefinitely, until we have a better assessment of the storm.
- SHELTERS: Shelters operated by Palm Beach County, including two special needs shelters and one pet shelter, may open on Sunday. You must preregister for the special needs shelter. Research shelter locations, here: http://www.floridadisaster.org/knowyourzone
- MAYOR’S RESPONSE HOTLINE: For non-emergency questions or concerns, please call the (561) 822-2222.
- DISRUPTION OF SERVICES: Residents should be prepared for a disruption of City services from time to time. Please be patient. City employees are working hard to prepare our city, to protect you, and to keep you safe. Your safety is paramount
- SANDBAGS: The City does not give away or sell sandbags. As a general rule, these can be found in most hardware or home improvement stores.
PALM TRAN UPDATE:
Palm Tran serves many shelter locations. All Palm Tran services will be free on Sunday and will run its Saturday level of service and schedule on Sunday. Use the Palm Tran trip planner at palmtran.org and find more hurricane information at readypbc.org
Important Numbers and Contact Information for the City of West Palm Beach
- City of West Palm Beach Department of Public Works Sanitation Division
(561) 822-2075 [TTY: (800) 955-8771] or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Reporting a power outage or downed powerline: 1-800-4-OUTAGE (1-800-468-8243)
- For emergencies, please call 911
- To contact the Police Department for non-emergencies, please call 561.822.1900
- To contact the city for non-emergencies, please call 561.822.2222
Follow City Updates on Social Media
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CityofWPB/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/westpalmbch
- City websites: www.wpb.org/news and www.wpb.org/storm
- To subscribe to the City’s newsletter, visit: https://wpb.org/insider
Download these apps for more updates:
- PBC Dart App: https://member.everbridge.net/index/892807736726195#/signup
- CodeRed: https://www.onsolve.com/solutions/products/codered/mobile-alert-app/codered-mobile-apps-download/
For Spanish speaking residents, Commissioner Lambert has shared the following information: https://wpb.org/News-Video/Storm-Preparedness/Critical-Information-for-the-2018-Atlantic-Hurrica