Hurricane Dorian Update 4
August 30, 2019 (8:20 PM)
Hurricane Dorian is expected to make landfall as a Category 4 hurricane in Florida on Monday night or early Tuesday morning.
As of this evening, West Palm Beach remains in the center of the cone. If this continues, we will be expecting 140mph winds with substantial rainfall. Because the storm is slow moving, we may face tropical storm winds for a substantial amount of time.
City Commission President
West Palm Beach District 5 (Southend)
Special Needs Sheltering
Palm Beach County has established a Special Needs Program to provide for citizens with certain medical problems during a major emergency. The Special Needs Shelter is a facility with physicians and nurses on staff. It has auxiliary electrical power, is wind resistant, and not flood-prone. The shelter is not a medical facility and provides limited services. The shelter does not provide medication, dialysis, oxygen or oxygen concentrators.
Emergency Management is responsible for maintaining the client rosters, operational logistics, and coordination of the Special Needs Shelters. Space at these shelters is limited. Prioritization is based on need.
Citizens are encouraged to pre-register if possible at http://discover.pbcgov.org/publicsafety/dem/Pages/Special-Needs.aspx
City of West Palm Beach – New Closures/Cancellations
- Mandel Public Library of West Palm Beach: In response to Hurricane Dorian, the library will be closed until further notice. No library materials will be due, and no library overdue fines will be charges while the Library is closed. – NEW
- Vickers House, the City of West Palm Beach community resource center will be closed until further notice. – NEW
- Code Enforcement Special Magistrate Hearing: The Code Enforcement Special Magistrate Hearing scheduled for Wednesday, September 4th has been canceled. – NEW
- Sustainability Advisory Committee Meeting: The City of West Palm Beach Sustainability Advisory Committee Meeting scheduled for Tuesday, September 3, at 4:00 p.m. has been cancelled. – NEW
- All City of West Palm Beach community centers and facilities will be closed in preparation for Hurricane Dorian. – NEW
- CLOSURE ANTICIPATED: All City of West Palm Beach Parks will be closed once a hurricane warning is in place. Currie Park boat ramps will close once a hurricane warning is declared. No personal vessels are permitted to tie up to any City docks or piers. – NEW
- Grassy Waters Preserve of West Palm Beach: Nature Center and all Preserve trails will be closed effective Saturday, August 31, 2019, until further notice.
- Saturday Sanitation Service – suspended
- City Hall: City Hall is closed on Monday, September 2, 2019 in observance of Labor Day.
Lake Worth Drainage District Update
Watch the video below to hear Lake Worth Drainage District Executive Director Tommy Strowd’s update on Hurricane Dorian and community flood control operations for the LWDD boundary.
Important Numbers and Contact Information for the City of West Palm Beach
- City of West Palm Beach Department of Public Works Sanitation Division (561) 822-2075 [TTY: (800) 955-8771] or email email@example.com
- Reporting a power outage or downed powerline: 1-800-4-OUTAGE (1-800-468-8243)
- For emergencies, please call 911
- To contact the Police Department for non-emergencies, please call 561.822.1900
- To contact the city for non-emergencies, please call 561.822.2222
Follow City Updates on Social Media
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CityofWPB/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/westpalmbch
- City websites: www.wpb.org/news and www.wpb.org/storm
- To subscribe to the City’s newsletter, visit: https://wpb.org/insider
Download these apps for more updates:
- PBC Dart App: https://member.everbridge.net/index/892807736726195#/signup
- CodeRed: https://www.onsolve.com/solutions/products/codered/mobile-alert-app/codered-mobile-apps-download/
For Spanish speaking residents, Commissioner Lambert has shared the following information: https://wpb.org/News-Video/Storm-Preparedness/Critical-Information-for-the-2018-Atlantic-Hurrica