Hurricane Dorian Update 1
August 29, 2019 (4:30 PM)
Hurricane Dorian is currently a category 1 Hurricane and is growing in strength and getting more organized as it heads towards Florida. The storm is projected to make landfall along the Florida east coast potentially as a Category 4 Hurricane during the Labor Day weekend (Sunday-Monday).
Please make sure you, your family and your property are prepared. Included below is an update specific for southend District 5 residents and important contact information from the City of West Palm Beach for all residents.
I will continue to share updates. Please contact me if you have any questions.
City Commission President
West Palm Beach District 5 (southend)
District 5 Southend Update
- The City is working with the PBC Emergency Operations Center to monitor Dorian’s path and make proper preparations.
- For information about Hurricane Kits and Supplies, check out this list from the Palm Beach Post: https://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/20190828/hurricane-dorian-herersquos-what-you-need-on-your-storm-supply-list
- Please refrain from doing major yardwork until after the storm passes. Any additional yard waste out now may not be picked up.
- The City is working on a pre-storm checklist that includes ensuring all the drains are cleaned by the end of the day tomorrow (Friday).
- There are several major projects occurring in the southend including, the 3111 South Dixie site, Palm Beach Post site and Drive Shack. The West Palm Beach Building Department has instructed these construction site operators of the following:
o Keep jobsites clear of debris. Avoid storing materials on site.
o Prepare all mobile equipment to be pulled from sites when warnings are issued or keep secured for anticipated hurricane force winds.
o Cancel scheduled delivery of additional materials, except as needed to secure the site.
o Brace walls, roof trusses and otherwise secure your jobsite.
o Priority will be given to all inspections required to secure the property and the regular notice will not be required. However, once a warning is issued, no further inspections, delivery of materials, or further construction will be permitted.
o For more information from the West Palm Beach Building Department call 561-805-6700
Important Numbers and Contact Information for the City of West Palm Beach
- City of West Palm Beach Department of Public Works – Sanitation Division – (561) 822-2075 [TTY: (800) 955-8771] or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Follow City Updates on Social Media
o Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CityofWPB/
o Twitter: https://twitter.com/westpalmbch
o City websites: www.wpb.org/news and www.wpb.org/storm
o To subscribe to the City’s newsletter, visit: https://wpb.org/insider
o Download these apps for more updates:
In the event of an emergency, dial 911.
For non-emergency questions, call the City hotline at (561) 822-2222
For information in Spanish/Espanol: http://bit.ly/2MJGOYa